Bundling up indie games is what all the cool kids are doing these days, as is pricing them "pay what you want" while donating portions of the proceeds to charity. But here's something refreshingly different: The 99 Percent Bundle. This totally free collection of indie games aims to highlight some of the lesser-known developers out there, the people who continue to make the games they love and release them for free. It's sort of the indies of the indie community, and it's the perfect way to discover new titles you might have missed over the last few months.
The 99 Percent Bundle packs 13 games together in a single download, ranging from crazy action games to experimental releases, tower defense and even shooting games. Some are highly polished and give you a complete experience from beginning to end, while others are short and a bit crazy in design. But you know what? That's what games are all about: craziness and fun!
Here are a few of our favorite games from The 99 Percent Bundle:
- Prior (browser version) - A dark, moody puzzle platformer with tones of metroidvania games laced in.
- Diamond Hollow 2 (browser version) - A retro-inspired platform game that started as a Ludum Dare entry and grew into a lovely little experience all its own!
- Lone Boss and Cub - You have just laid an egg, and now you've got to protect it. You only have a few powers at your disposal, and those pesky humans are persistent. A nice strategy/action hybrid.
- Robot Unlock - One of our favorite logic programming-style puzzle games, featuring some deathly-difficult levels of the type you would see in SpaceChem.
- NeonPlat Adventures - A very retro-styled platform game, featuring loads of power-ups and plenty of neat-o hats to wear!
Like The 99 Percent Bundle proclaims on its message page: Games were made to be played. All of them. Get the bundle, enjoy some labors of love, and keep playing games!