With a nearby volcano threatening my loved ones
, I thought it might be a good time to let off some steam. This week's Bonus Link Dump is all about shoot shooty shoot bang thwa-bam! Use of your mind is discouraged, but your lizard brain may come in handy.
- Super Mega Ultra Battle Robot - Despite the name, Super Mega Ultra Battle Robot is pretty laid-back and groovy, at least until one of the gigantic bosses shows up. Lots of different weapons and toys to play with here, including a sword and a mega-ultra time shield that slows down bullets.
- Mechanical Commando - So. Fast. Paced. It may get a little repetitive, but this overhead shooter piles on the explosions. Big rooms full of turrets and giant mechanical bosses break things up, and there's even a story! Not, like, a story that you'll be stealing for your creative writing class, but it's nice to know the explosions have meaning.
- Virus - Not only do you have to stop the viruses from reaching the bottom of the screen, you have to beat back the hexagonal mesh-work they leave behind. You get a choice of three different ways to use your bombs (using the number keys 1 to 3), and you'll need to figure out the best situation for each. Nice vector graphics.
- Melbius - A colorful side-scroller that would have fit snugly onto the Mega Drive in 1991. It's also quite hard—one hit from any of the dozens of moving objects on-screen will kill you, you cute little bird-thing. Switch between four different weapons, and don't forget to pace your shooting to keep your gun charged up. Scroll down the page to find the game, right above the keyboard reference.
- B29 Assault - Fight your way up through the city, kill a boss, and then fly straight back down and kill another. Collect power-ups for stronger weapons. It's standard vertical shooter time! There's some simple gesture-based weapons to spice things up, though, and the long life bar means you can play this one without slamming an energy drink prior.