Weekend Download №163
Here's a bit of a blast from the past for you: BatMan. Not Christopher Nolan's dark, brooding Batman, not even Tim Burton's interpretation of the caped crusader. This is old-school Batman with old-school gameplay, and you'll love every minute of it! Where does he get those wonderful toys, anyway?
The Sense of Connectedness (Windows, 6MB, free) - This is the kind of puzzle game you need to play rather than read about. Figuring out what's going on is 90% of the experience. Figuring out how to do it is the other 10%. And then there's a bonus 10% you're rewarded for actually pulling it off. Do yourself a favor and grab this game if you're even remotely interested. Then, you can peek back here to read about it if you're still stuck. So now: SPOILER ALERT!! You start at the center of the brain as a little spark by the ego. As you move about, you'll uncover new parts of the brain. Stray too far and you'll vanish and respawn. To explore the entire brain, you'll need to use the [z] key to flip neurons to direct the energy sparks around to different areas. It takes some time, but soon you'll dig out even the most remote areas of the brain. And that, dear friends, is where I stop talking about the game for fear of a real spoiler!
BatMan (Windows, 17MB, free) - A remake of the classic ZX Spectrum game by the same team that remade Head Over Heels, BatMan is an isometric adventure that takes place inside of Bruce Wayne's mansion and throughout the Batcave. Explore the rooms to find seven parts of the BatCraft, avoiding enemies and falling victim to some really sneaky traps. Play it careful, as you've got a limited number of lives, and remember that games originally made in 1986 were much less forgiving than today. This remake does an excellent job updating the classic to more modern standards, and an extraordinary job was done on the music, visuals, and controls!
Walk with Jack (Windows, 13.4MB, free) - What you can't see can't hurt you, right? While anyone who's tried swimming in a mountain lake at night might disagree, Jack's on board for the concept. In this game, Jack walks from left to right. Lots of nasty things scroll his way, from spikes to pits to spiders and more. How do you keep Jack safe? Click and hold the [left] mouse button and the entire screen goes black. In the darkness, Jack continues to move, but any dangers he would smash into don't hurt him. Release the button to see what's going on, but be prepared to click again soon. An interesting arcade-style game you'll have fun playing all afternoon!
Note: All games have been confirmed to run under Windows 7 and are virus-free. Mac users should try Boot Camp, Parallels, or CrossOver Games to play Windows titles, Linux users can use Wine. If you know of a great game we should feature, use the Submit link above to send it in!