Sort of a shooterey, retroish, trance music-like Link Dump Friday theme this week. Or is it an old-school-style trancey shooter musical theme? Either way, most of these games kinda sorta lean against one or more of those concepts. I guess. Right? Well... hmm. Aah forget it, I'm going back to making music with Tone Matrix.
- Hero's Arms - Run around the overworld defeating monsters to earn gold and level up your character, then dive into the dungeons to hunt for better items and take down big bosses. The game plays very well for a Zelda "clone", but the most surprising part is the game's reported length: 10-15 hours for a straight run through, 20-25 hours to full completion. Inspired by overhead adventure games such as the classic Legend of Zelda series, and a great deal of attention went into restoring that retro look and feel.
- Tone Matrix - Nothing much to see here. Plenty to hear, here. A simple but smart music-based web toy where you fill in squares on the grid to make a short loop of chiptune-style music. The higher the square, the higher the pitch. String together soothing sounds, or just draw funny pictures and see what they sound like.
- Pwong - If Pong were made by a techno club junkie, this is what it would be. Slide the paddle back and forth to knock the ball to your opponent at the top of the screen. Now do that ten times per second for twice as many balls. Power-ups give you a little help, but other than that, it's just you, the music, and an ever-shifting haze of colors.
- Retroshoot - A game that inspires "oohs" from its neon visuals, Retroshoot is exactly what the title implies: a retro shooter. Your ship fires on its own (and makes a pew pew noise), all you have to do is move the mouse, collect power-ups, and don't die.
- The Par Box - A webtoy with tons of visual effects you can play around with. Interact with the eye candy by moving your mouse, and scroll through different visuals with the left and right [arrow] keys, 50 to see in all. Hit the right arrow key eleven times to see the best one ever!!!