Link Dump Friday
As I sit here, barely coherent and adrift on medicine that will hopefully free my nasal passages, I reflect on all the good times we've had together. We've ridden around in tanks made of thread and shot money out of our foes. We've eaten raw meat off a dirt floor together while we flung pitchforks at squealing demon thingies. We've climbed enormous blue towers and freed our friends with our butts. Good times, my friend. Gooooood tiiiimmmes.
... what? Of course that's not the medicine talking! That's really how I feel! See for yourself:
- Dream Tower - Visually impressive, if a little light on content, this adorable little platformer has you running around an enormous tower, gathering stars, bouncing on enemies, and freeing your fellow critters who have been caged. It's sort of Mario meets Kirby meets early Sonic meets d'awwwww. With a little more variety to the levels, this could have been a serious contender, but as it stands, don't you still want to hug it and pet it and name it George?
- Stitchland Conflict - There's just something about a shooter that looks like it was made out of merit badges you have to love. Roll through the unique landscape shooting down enemies and earning cash for upgrades. It's a bit disappointing that the gameplay isn't as unique as the presentation, but who amoung you cannot tell me you have always wanted a merit badge for thwarting a missile strike with a shotgun?
- AliBaba 40 Thieves - Minoto's surreal point-and-click puzzle-ish rendition of the classic tale features a monkey, a gorilla, a doll, and, of course, Santa Claus. Is it just me or does this sound like something Bugs Bunny might have come up with? It's cute, it's weird, and it's exactly what we've come to expect from Minoto, who should probably be illustrating wonderful, silly children's books right now.
- Onslaught - While not the deepest game out there, this little retro arena game deserves some recognition for being made with HTML5. Survive as long as you can against waves of enemies, snagging coins to improve your score, hearty chunks of meat to improve your health, and various sharp implements to improve your face stabbing. The controls feel a bit stiff and the enemy variety is limited enough that you'll start seeing repeats long before you die, but who can say no to throwing pitchforks at squalling goblin thingies? I know I can't.
- Fish - A very simple but very cute little game where you play the perquisite salty fisherman with an awesome beard and what I hope is a corncob pipe tooling around in his boat, using different lures to catch different fish. The variety of fish you can catch is unfortunately a little slim, but it's adorable while it lasts and could do with some more fleshing out.