HalloLink Dump Friday
Hello, faithful readers, and welcome to a special spookified edition of Link Dump Friday! In honor of the season, I've chosen a few of my favorite previously-reviewed games (including a few new ones) with a spooky edge. We've got ghosties, beasties, sleepy vampir-ies, tentacle monsters and, naturally, Garfield! So get out that bowl of candy corn, put on the "Monster Mash" and settle in with one of these fun titles.
- Exmortis and Exmortis 2 - Designer Ben Leffler's pair of truly creepifying point-and-click titles. You wake in the woods with no memories and a terrible headache, and find shelter in a dark, seemingly-abandoned old house... What could possibly go right?
- Bashing Pumpkins - Similar to the Nest of Moai games but with a Halloween theme. Move the cursor over jack-o-lanterns as they pop-up from behind famous landmarks or slide out of a statue's nostril. Plus: Godzilla!
- Transylmania - After a long, hard night of sucking the blood of innocent maidens, all a vampire wants to do is take a nice, long nap in his coffin. But nooo, those no-good villagers insist on invading your castle, lighting torches and threatening to turn you to ash! Nothing to do but turn them into the walking dead themselves...
- Deanimator - Based on the stories of H.P. Lovecraft, Deanimator is a grim, gruesome and ultimately futile battle against zombies that still manages to be scarily entertaining.
- Scary Scavenger Hunt - One for the kids, though almost any casual gamer will probably enjoy it. Guide Garfield around the haunted house to find sweet treats, but watch out for the monsters that will jump out if you click on the wrong things!
- Anchorhead - An absolutely superb piece of interactive fiction steeped in Lovecraftian mythos. Worth a play even if you've never tried the genre.
- The House - An amazingly atmospheric interactive narrative/game created by Thai designer Sinthai Boomaitree. Enter the abandoned house to discover the tragic truth behind the suicide of an entire family.
- Industrial Zombie Grow - A dark riff on the classic Grow games, complete with puddles of goo and industrial-type buildings. Note: May contain zombies!
- And, in a decidedly unspooky note, we have Free Rice, a vocabulary testing game that adjusts itself to your level of knowledge. That's not the good part, though; for every word you get right, 10 grains of rice will be donated to a hungry person by the United Nations World Food Program (WFP). So click away, and the combined might of JIG just may do some significant good.