Link Dump Friday
Flipping through my Latin dictionary, I came across a fun new word: fulgidus. It means flashing or shining. That entertained me for a moment, then I decided I might be hungry and considered making a sandwich. Did ancient Romans eat sandwiches? If so, what did they call them? The dictionary is no help. I really hope they did, because they're quite delicious.
And what exactly does all of this have to do with this Friday's Link Dump? Not one single thing. But now that you've learned a Latin word and have contemplated what kind of sandwich I wanted to make, you've earned a few good games to ease your troubled mind.
- Swords and Sandals - What little kid hasn't dreamed of donning purple skin and a red beard and entering the arena as a gladiator? I know Harukio has. Probably Jay, too. Customize your character, buy a few items and jump into the Amphitheatrum Flavium-like ring to fight opponents with an easy click interface. Gain gold, increase your stats, keep winning. Technically this is a downloadable game, but there's an online demo in Flash, so I get to bend the rules. Oh, and the music? Priceless. (Submitted by Larkin, Ali, rockstar and Nick)
- Something Amiss: Chapter 1 - A good-looking room escape, adventure game created to accompany a novel of the same name. You play a woman who wakes up from "routine" (note the quotation marks that denote suspicion) MRI scan to find the lab doors locked and the doctors missing. Something is most certainly amiss.
Note: The Something Amiss servers have been down due to a high volume of traffic.
- Vorticube - It's 3D! OMG! Use a combination of keys to move a bouncing ball in a 3D box-like world. Then focus on smashing stuff as best you can. Takes some time to get used to, but once you do, BAM, it's fun. Just one question: why isn't it called "Smashing Boxes 3D"?
- Did you know you can find us easily with Google (en) by typing only "jay" and hitting the "I'm feeling lucky" button? You didn't? Well now you do. Although it may not presently work in all languages, we're working towards global domination. RAWR!
- Draw Play 2 - It's just like the original Draw Play, but with a number at the end! The sequel to the "make your own platforms if you want to play a platformer game" adds a Hard mode along with a few bells and whistles. Plus, there's monkeys. Wait, spikes, I meant to say spikes. (Submitted by Ced, Terrorbyte, and maXro)
- FoolYoo - Hooray for samurai! Fend off attacking enemies by dicing them up with your sword (cursor). In-between rounds, follow the old man's instructions and chop vegetables for a delicious soup. Mmm. Soup. Goes well with sandwiches. Although the game is in Japanese, you don't need to know the language to play. It would be helpful to be able to recognize a few kanji number symbols for the veggie chopping, though. (Submitted by Keith)
Sound off in the comments below and let us know what you thought of these games!
And don't forget about our weekly poker nights! This week's tournaments begin at 3PM Eastern (GMT-5:00) (Saturday). Grand prize drawing in May, that includes all of our poker tournment champions, is for a Nintendo DS! =)